I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

Winter's Tale

Winter's Tale - Mark Helprin Life is really too short to read this: I stopped at 32%, but I could feel a two-star rating coming.

Helprin's writing is so flowery, so kitchy, so over the top, it's nearly hypnotic. Every half-informative sentence sprouts a completely superfluous one:
Rum, champagne, cakes, and roasts were everywhere. (Well, not everywhere: they weren't in the fireplace, or on top of the harp, or pasted on the ceiling.) The house was warm and bright. Even the cats danced.
This multitude of redundant sentences that do nothing, absolutely nothing, to further the plot, is there only to obscure its Alchemist-grade quality. Also, I was really irritated by the fact that Helprin constructs a pretty pretty world with a vengeance, without bothering to present any of the rules that govern it, apart from the Inherent Nobility of the Human Spirit.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald