I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure

French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure - Mireille Guiliano While I haven't read (and after reading this, have no intention of doing it) the first book, it seems pretty obvious to me that 'French Women for All Seasons' was written to milk the 'French Women...' cow just a little more. The very structure indicates it's all about odds and ends; the "seasons" part is the decent lifestyle mag fare; the recipes are ok, but mostly nothing to write home about, and the iritating scarf-tying tips punctuate every chapter. The three chapters that follow feel like accidental appendages - a very informative chapter on wine (Ms Guillano works in the wine industry and this *shows*), a less interesting chapter on entertaining (skimmed that, since I find entertaining everything but), and a French-English phrasebook (of all things...).

On the whole, the book is, at times, quite informative, but I couldn't enjoy it seing how the material was thrown together to create an impression of a coherent whole. Moreover, though I'm ready to adopt the "eat only food that matters!" attitude, I see far too many anorexic teens to be as enthusiastic about "eat half your food" principle.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald