I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

The Virgin in the Garden

The Virgin in the Garden  - A.S. Byatt This probably is the best book I will have read this year. This also is my first Byatt, and I love it.

This book is dense - so dense I picked up a few other books as I was reading it, just to convince myself I did not become a slow reader overnight. Byatt manages her subplots and first-person narratives exceedingly well; the only subplot that seems to belong elsewhere is nicely incorporated towards the end.

But the BIGGEST THING about it is how psychologically true it feels(the psycho-plot aside, I'm not qualified to assess that). In the book that is strikingly intertextual and metatextual to the point of artificiality (in the best way possible, I had many a guilty giggle on that account), Byatt places her characters in situations we ache to see changed, and then - when no violent incident occurs, no decision taken, and what was to happen, happens - we are compelled to say this feels right and real.

On my way to locate the rest of "The Frederica Quartet".

Click here for my review of the second installment of The Frederica Quartet series - [b:Still Life|91519|Still Life|A.S. Byatt||1794016]:

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald