I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

The Good Soldier

The Good Soldier - Ford Madox Ford, Kenneth Womack, William Baker I liked it. Mostly. To be precise, up to two-thirds; after that, the subject matter, the narrator (for it is largely a retrospective, first-person narrative by a middle-aged white male), and the style (increasingly exalted - think schoolgirls, not nobility) began to tire me. I think it was partly because I started to dislike the narrator and his manner of self-presentation; what made the first two-thirds of the book enjoyable for me was waiting for some sign that he is, in fact, unreliable - it was hard for me to accept his cluelessness, which he, in turn, explains by his religion - he repeatedly identifies himself as a "Philadelphia Quaker." Ford's novel represents Catholics as curious, cruel beings; I even checked what his faith was - he was a Catholic convert, and probably The Good Soldier is a fruit of some long discussion on human nature, fidelity and religion he had with himself. Very observant.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald