I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

2015 on Goodreads

2015 on Goodreads - Various 2015 started with for me with joining, enthusiastically, my first group - 2015: The Year of Reading Women; this helped me encounter many fantastic people and read many books ranging from mesmerising to disappointing.

It ended with a huge crisis, major culling of to-read and considering lists, elimination of my too-depressing-to-consider shelf (the very presence of which was the first sign that books I gravitate towards don't agree with me), and an intention to read less and more discriminatingly next year. More contentment, less 'all intelligent people seem to be reading that!' compulsion.

Favourite fiction of 2015:
A Month in the Country
The Custom of the Country
Memoirs of Hadrian

Favourite non fiction of 2015:
The Songlines
Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
The Quest for Corvo

There also were some inevitable disappointments (Nightwood being the greatest), and books I was really conflicted about (primarily Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal), which produced some good reviews.

(Inserting links doesn't work for some reason; I'll come back to add these later).

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald