I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

A Collection of Beauties at the Height of Their Popularity: A Novel

A Collection of Beauties at the Height of Their Popularity: A Novel - Whitney Otto Part of my delight with this book stems from the fact that a few years back I started thinking about it (I read it around the time it was published), and couldn't, couldn't for the life of me recall the title. Found it, finally, through one of the Goodreads groups devoted to helping people with similar title amnesia (thank you!).

On the whole: it is a very *pretty* book. The characters, mostly kids in their late twenties, are pretty and more or less artistic; if not creating art, they turn themselves or their lives into art; they think beautiful thoughts, and sometimes live in poverty, but never in squalor. Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely thing to read if you're in your twenties and in love with certain lifestyle.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald