I'm a GoodReads user testing new waters after the serious website changes. I mostly read fiction, usually Anglophone classics/ modern classics; I like nonfiction (mostly social and cultural history), good fantasy and graphic novels. For guilty pleasure, I read advice and how-to books. I made at least two reading resolutions recently; 1. read less, live more; 2. read books which give me more pleasure. I have poor filters, and books I find stylistically pleasing tend to be depressing, so I need to do something about that; if you think you know a book that is very well written, but won't make me weep, please drop me a line.

Brideshead Revisited (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)

Brideshead Revisited (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics) - Evelyn Waugh This is a novel which transports; my great regret is that I'm unable to read it the way it ought to be read - calmly, appreciatively, at long stretches. The comparison to The Great Gatsby seems, to me at least, inevitable, and yet this book puts GG to shame. The splendid characterization, and a wide cast of period types; war shown as gray and dull, not something to witticize of romanticize; women, food and wine; language so over the top, it becomes camp; well-bred girls who keep pet swine and gem-incrusted tortoises; and a very queer character, adored by Firbank himself.

Still, the snob in me realizes I should not enjoy it so much - this book is sensory, catchy, three-dimensional, and bordering on kitch, yet all this only seems to add to its appeal.

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald